American vs British English course will help you be consistent in your use of English. It will teach you which words have distinct meanings and pronunciations depending on whether they are used by a Briton or an American.
“Two nations divided by a common language” was how George Bernard Shaw described Britain and the USA. Culturally, the two countries are further apart than you might be tempted to think, but just how similar are the English spoken in Britain and American English?
While it is true that there are plenty of differences between the English spoken in the UK and that of the USA, the first thing to point out is that Brits and Americans can understand each other perfectly well. Anecdotally, some American people find certain British dialects harder to understand whereas Brits are more used to American English (AmE as linguists write it) due to exposure through movies and music.
The difficulty for the non-native learners of English on the other hand is that there is no standard English form. They are confronted with two English dialects to learn: British English and American English (leaving aside Australian, Indian, South African English etc.) Despite the many cross-cultural influences, it seems that the vocabularies, spellings and pronunciations of these two dialects are diverging year by year. For example, if a Londoner tells a resident of New York that she has left her child’s dummy in the pram and its nappy in the boot, she will merely be greeted with a look of bewilderment. If the New Yorker then tells the London woman that she has nice pants, he may well wonder why she doesn’t seem to take his remark as a compliment.
Our American vs British English course on Skype will help you develop familiarity with both styles of communication and ensure you do not find yourself having difficulty understanding native speakers. This is necessary not only for sake of communication, but often to avoid embarrassment!
About English lessons on Skype:
- All our online British native teachers are fully qualified and highly experienced
- Our lessons are suitable for any level and any age
- Lesson fees: click here
- You can choose to have 25 min, 50 min or 75 min English Skype lessons
- We will allocate an English teacher to you who will develop your Individual Teaching Plan, teach your classes and make sure you are progressing to your best ability
- We will work very closely with you and you can be assured of an individual approach to your specific learning needs
- You will receive all teaching materials prior to your lessons (these could be texts or video/audio materials, comprehension questions, vocabulary, idioms, phrasal verbs etc)
- We will conduct mid-course Review Lessons to help you see how your English skills have improved
- Your English teacher will send you post-lesson homework for your next class which will be sent back to you with corrections and teacher’s comments
- We will regularly send you your Progress Report to set your objectives for the next block of lessons and constructive comments on your progress
- We will issue a Certificate of Attendance that you can proudly show off to your friends and colleagues!
- Receive a Demo Lesson Report
- Receive your level assessment
- Receive your English teacher’s recommendations for future course structure
- Choose convenient days and time for all your classes
- Discuss your aims and goals with your teacher, and set the time frame
- Ask any question about the materials, lesson formats, timetable and payments
- Discuss your homework